- Chokusen-mon – A symbol of power and discipline; straight lines across a gate, trellis, or raked into the gravel.
- Kyokusen-mon – A symbol of water; stream patterns such as a meandering dry creek rock leading to a water feature or dry pond.
- Ryushi-mon – walking paths or trails; stream patterns that do not meander
- Ren-mon – Patterns in gravel that look like ripples in water, often created by raking techniques in a zen garden.
- Maru-uzu-mon – Patterns that look like water drop waves.
- Shokubutsu-mon – Plant patterns; such as sets of three ornamental grasses, or alternating flowering plants or bushes.